Blundstone Original #500 and Classic #585 Compared
We are still as proudly Tasmanian as ever and proud to be over 150 years old. Like our company, our boot designs have evolved over the years. We want to make sure you know everything you need to help choose between our most iconic styles from two of our best-loved series, the Originals and the Classics. We have perfected the timeless Chelsea boot design, and each of our series are modified to be fit for purpose in all sorts of environments, offering comfort, durability and iconic good looks. Rest assured no matter the style, all Blundstone boots are lightweight, built for comfort and incredibly durable.
Designed in the 1960s the Originals Series epitomises everything that is Blundstone. Since its inception more than 50 years ago, the design of our original #500 elastic-sided Chelsea boot has remained virtually unchanged, a testament to the craftsmanship and longevity of the Blundstone brand. The sole has evolved over time to incorporate new technology and we renamed them the Originals, but our iconic Chelsea boot design is still going strong with more than 25 million pairs of Originals Series sold across the world. These boots are made for walking. But they are also made to work hard, play hard, and stand up to tough conditions.
Like all our boots, the Originals #500 Chelsea boot was built from the ground up. It was immediately popular with its rugged, all-rounder charm, appealing to farmers, builders and workers who toiled on their feet all day. As the decades rolled by, the all-day comfort, easy on/easy off design and timelessness of the boot has seen the Originals’ audience grow to adventurers, creatives and functional fashion wearers globally.
While our Originals remain a cornerstone of the Blundstone range we always look to improve and innovate our footwear and understand our customers’ needs. That’s why the Classics were made. We took the Originals’ blueprint and added a little luxury, more room for a slightly wider fit and a more rugged sole profile for even more durability.
Let’s walk through the differences between Blundstone Originals and Classics:
• Our Originals Series has a firmer fit with a slightly narrower girth while the Classics are a little wider with more toe height.
• The Originals have greater breathability as they are unlined, whereas the Classics offer a little more luxury with a part leather, part synthetic lining. The leather lining brings added structure and warmth, while the synthetic lining aids breathability to keep your feet feeling fresh.
• There’s a difference in the removable footbeds too. The Originals come with basic XRD® Technology cushioning while the Classics’ footbed provides an added moulded cushioning packed with XRD® Extreme Impact Protection to absorb impact within the heel strike area. Added to this the Classics also come with an extra set of footbeds for a truly custom fit.
• All of our boots are designed to be tough. The reinforced double stitching found on the Classics’ heel adds extra strength. The Classics are made for adventure. The heel panel balances comfort with durability for an even more robust Chelsea boot.
• The durable TPU outsoles have different tread patterns. Both series provide enhanced traction and slip-resistance to keep you steady on your feet all day long. The Originals have a slimmer sole profile, while the Classics chunkier sole profile has deeper contours for an even firmer grip on more challenging terrain.
• The difference in price between the #500 and the #585 is pretty slim. The #585 costs slightly more than the #500 because there are more materials and processes involved in their production.
Both the Originals and Classics have the iconic Chelsea boot style that Blundstone is renowned for. The pull tags make them easy to pull on and off, while the elasticated side panel holds the foot in place but allows for natural movement. The durable TPU outsoles provide cushioning for all-day comfort and of course both styles bring the ‘Everywhere Life Takes Me’ attitude to your everyday adventures.
Now that you know the differences between the Originals #500 and Classics #585 you can feel confident in your choice.
THE ORIGINALS AND CLASSICS AT A GLANCE
|Firmer Fit (Narrower Girth)
|Roomier Girth and Toe Height
|Removable Footbed Type
|Basic Cushioning Footbed
|Moulded Cushioning Footbed Plus XRD® Technology
|Extra Set of Footbeds
|Everywhere Life Takes You Attitude